Saturday, April 7, 2012

Bella Napoli


Happy in Roma

Pastiera- Neapolitan Easter Cake

Napoli

La Galleria Umberto, Napoli

Dancing with the waiters in Naples





Simply Delicious  

Riding his motorino in the rain 


Naples is amazing. Aesthetically it is run down and dirty, but the people are so warm and welcoming. From the shop woman who was so eager to help us find the piazza we were looking for to the bread maker who posed for us to take a picture, the people of Naples make this  city beautiful. My sister and I constantly found ourselves saying, "oh my God, she/he was so nice!" until we realized that everyone in Naples is just so nice. And it's not a fake  I-want-your-tourist-money nice; they are genuinely nice. The food is to die for. There was a moment when Deidre and I were in heaven eating sformato di melanzane, and it was so  delicious that all we could do was laugh. It's the best food I've had up until this point. I feel like Naples is just so real.
Cultural Notes: 1. Pastiera is a typical Neapolitan Easter cake. I was able to eat the real 
thing in the real place. Other typical sweets of Naples are babĂ  and sfogiatella. 
                          2. Naples is the birth place of Italian pizza. Neapolitan pizza is thicker and more doughy while Roman pizza is thinner and more crispy. 
Highlights: 1. Eating pizza napoletana. I must say, I think I prefer it over pizza romana. 
2. Seeing the veiled Christ sculpture in the Museo Cappella Sansevero. It was stunning. 
3. Exploring the city with my sister, shopping and interacting with the  napoletani. 
4. The weather! It was supposed to rain, but Naples gave us sunshine. It's now  raining in Capri. 
Impara con me! 1. cavo- cable wire