Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Three Days in Milano


Villa d'Este, Lake Como

The Duomo, Milan

risotto alla milanese

I went to Milan for three days with Patrizia, one of my colleagues-turned-friend, and her two little girls. We stayed with her parents, and again, I was spoiled with her mother’s cooking. One of the days we went to Lake Como, and Patrizia wanted to show me Villa d’Este: a hotel/party venue reserved for the upper mobile, can’t-get-any-richer, average-age-65 class of people. When we arrived at the gates Patrizia told me to speak in English and say that I am an American interested in having my wedding there. I don’t know if the guard actually believed me, but it worked and we got in. As for the city of Milan, I liked it. Italian fashion at its best is on display, but the city itself is nothing next to Rome.   
Cultural Notes: 1. An Eataly just opened two weeks ago in Rome. It’s obviously not in centro; you need to reach it by car. I’m interested to see how it will be received by Italians.
                         2. There is no refuge from the heat because very few places are air conditioned. I’ve never been big on air conditioning, but I’m definitely looking forward to not waking up in a sweat every morning. 
Highlights: 1. Shopping at the best Zara I’ve ever been to in my life in Milan. 
                  2. Eating cotoletta alla milanese and risotto alla milanese actually in Milan.  
                  3. Picking peaches and apricots from the tree in Patrizia’s yard...and then eating them.
                   4. Seeing La Scala opera house in Milan. 
Impara con me! collutorio- mouthwash