Thursday, November 10, 2011

My Schedule Is Picking Up

I’m starting to get into the full teaching schedule and I’m loving it. On Mondays I teach three classes. Two English classes (both of which are year 5 students- 18 years old) and one Geography class (year 2 students- 15 years old). I am loving the year 5 students because since they are older it takes out the babysitting element of teaching and I’m left to actually just teach. I am so impressed with how they don’t give up when speaking in English. Even when they are having difficulty expressing themselves they manage to get around it and still make themselves understood. Tuesdays I teach two English classes (one year 4- 17 years old- and the other year 2- 15 years old) and Fridays I teach three English classes (one year 4 and two year 5). Wednesdays and Thursdays I will be teaching in Aquila, Abruzzo.

Cultural Notes: 1. It’s nice how the mood isn’t as frenetic between classes. The teachers are a lot more laid back. In America the teachers are in such a rush to get their materials together and get everything prepared and in place for the next period. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing, but it was nice to experience a calmer transition between classes. 
                         2. Italy’s Prime Minister, Silvio Berlusconi, is forced to resign due to his incapacity to help the Italian market during this economic crisis. He was short by 8 votes to win the majority.
 
Highlights of My Day: 1. I enjoy being a part of Rome in the early morning. It’s a time before the tourists have arose; the piazzas are quite, the Romans are on their way to work, and shops are just opening as shopkeepers sweep in front of their stores and get everything in order. I have found the caffè that I go to two hours before work to enjoy my four sips of a macchiato, read The NY Times, and reflect upon this experience. This is how I start my day and I am conscious as to thoroughly enjoy every minute because I am so content in these moments.
                                      2. Entering the classroom and all of the students standing up. In Italy the students stand when a teacher enters as a sign of respect. It was so cool!
                                      3. Receiving my very own cassetto (drawer) and key in the teachers’ lounge (sala professore). Teachers get their own drawer and key to keep their belongings and materials in because the teachers travel from room to room and the students stay in one classroom. 
                                      4. Getting a tessera (club card) today for the organic store that I shop at.

Impara con me! Roman Phrase: to slack off- battere la fiacca

                           to resign- dimettersi (Berlusconi si è dimesso- Berlusconi resigned)