Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Vuoi cambiare la vita?

A cappuccino/biscotto break


I was on my way to work and there was a man selling lotto tickets on the street. He held in front of me a possible winning ticket and he asked me, “vuoi cambiare la vita?” (do you want to change your life?) I continued walking at my brisk New Yorker pace, but I still responded to his question in my head…“no.” I don’t want to change my life…la vita è bella.      

Cultural Note: I’ve noticed that when you are walking toward someone, he/she moves to his/her left instead of to his/her right. In America we move to our right.

Highlights of My Day: 1. Shopping!!! I started Christmas shopping and I have so much more fun shopping in Italy than I do in America even though the city isn’t very festive. There are a few decorations here and there, but it’s nothing like how it is at home. 
                                      2. I bought myself a red mug that says Buon Natale in white script. I also bought the movie Elf with Will Ferrell (which I watch every year with my mom). My host mother has never seen it before so we are going to watch it together sometime before Christmas. Twenty-two more days until Giannis and my sister are here!!!

Impara con me! 1. pennica- Roman for pisolino (nap)
                            2. succursale- branch (as in a branch of a bank or a business)
                            3. è il tuo genere- it’s your style