Sunday, January 22, 2012

Being Tourists

Piazza del Popolo



Giannis getting an old school shave

Beautiful fountains everywhere 

Church San Giovanni in Laterano

Inside the catacombs of San Calisto


The Roman Forum

Inside the Colosseo 

The dome of St. Peter's

Trying to catch every word of the tour guide

Michelangelo's Creation of Man in The Sistine Chapel

Michelangelo's La Pietà

Raffael's fresco The School of Athens in La Sala della Segnatura (Vatican Museum)

The second week of their stay was when we did the touristy stuff. We did things that I haven’t even done yet because I wanted to experience them with the people I love. Out of everything we did, my favorite was the tour of the Vatican Museums and St. Peter’s Basilica. We did a three hour guided tour and our tour guide was fabulous. It was so surreal finally seeing with my own eyes the artwork that I had studied through the years. The Sistine Chapel gave me chills and I stared at La Pietà for a good five minutes…maybe longer. I was frivolously taking notes for the entire three hours…once a nerd, always a nerd.

Cultural Note: 1. One of my favorite things I saw in the Vatican Museum was the Sala della Segnatura. It was the room where the Pope used to sign documents and it is also the first room that Raffael ever painted. The frescos depict the themes of theology, philosophy, jurisprudence, and the poetic arts. Raffael painted himself in the fresco that represents natural truth/ intellect, entitled The School of Athens. He did this in order to promote the idea that artists are no longer simple workshop men, but that they are in fact intellects. He wanted artists to be referred to as being academics with scholarly ideas.        

Highlights: 1. I don’t know if it’s more amazing seeing the structures, monuments, and artwork for the first time myself or seeing the ones I love see them for the first time. I loved watching Giannis’ awestruck face when we were inside the Coliseum and Deidre’s whimsical excitement each time we visited the Trevi Fountain.

Impara con me! 1. piastra- griddle
                            2. ho fatto un tentativo- I gave it a shot