Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Much Needed Pugliese Lunch


Last Sunday I went to an old woman’s house for lunch. She is originally from Puglia, but has been living in Rome for many years. To be completely honest, I am so sick of pasta and I haven’t eaten it once since my family left. Before arriving to her house I was anticipating having to politely finish a plate of pasta that I wasn’t in the mood for. Since I love to cook, the kitchen is the first place I like to visit in a house. I went into the kitchen to see if she needed help (possibly putting the pasta into bowls), but it wasn’t pasta that she was putting into the bowls…it was fava topped with greens!!! Having a Greek boyfriend whose mother taught me how to make fava, I was completely familiar with the dish. As the meal progressed it was so interesting to see what a strong Greek influence was in each dish. It completely makes sense since Puglia is the heal of Italy, and therefore only a short distance away from Greece. Her cooking was incredible. She invited me to attend cooking “classes” at her house. Of all the regional Italian cuisines I’ve eaten thus far, pugliese food is my absolute favorite.

Cultural Note: 1. There is no such thing as “Italian Food.” It’s way too broad of a term when trying to identify a specific cuisine. The food in Italy is extremely variable and changes with each region you visit. The Northern Italian cuisine consists more of risotto and polenta than pasta, and butter is used more than olive oil. The Southern Italian cuisine has less meat and a greater use of vegetables. So instead of saying La cucina italiana, we should really be saying La cucina romana, la cucina pugliese, la cucina toscana etc.

Impara con me! 1. non è adatto per me- It’s not my thing