Thursday, October 13, 2011

Andréa Saves the Day...or maybe not

I was on the bus the other day going into town (it’s an hour bus ride from the house I am living at to the city center) and there was a young couple in the front of the bus fighting over something. It was entertaining to watch because even though they weren’t being loud, their body language and gestures went beyond words. They ended up getting off at the same stop as me and they were walking behind me continuing their fight. Naturally, I was listening to what they were fighting over and couldn’t help but interrupt since I was able to help the situation. They were fighting because this girl, who wants to improve her English speaking skills, met a native English speaking guy who wants to improve his Italian speaking skills. They agreed to meet up for a language exchange and the girl’s boyfriend didn’t like this whole idea. I actually thought it was pretty comical so I turned around and told them that I am a native English speaker and I would be more than happy to meet up for a language exchange. The boyfriend was elated over my offer and I exchanged numbers with the girl. The girl on the other hand wasn’t into the idea at all. As I walked away I thought that maybe this was her way of breaking up with him and I just ruined her whole plan.  

Cultural Note: The shopping in Rome is unbelievable. Although I haven’t bought anything, I could have easily dropped €5.000 by now. In stores in Italy, returns are not allowed. The salesman (il commesso) was telling me that most stores will allow an exchange, but due to some Italian law, returns are not allowed. Even in the large stores like Zara and H&M returns are not accepted. They will give you something called un buono, which is a store credit.

Highlight of My Day: I found a drycleaner to frequent. It was exciting for me because I feel like I’m building a life over here.

Impara con me! lavasecco- drycleaner (the place)