Thursday, October 6, 2011

Culture Shock at the Grocery Store

I went to the grocery store with the woman I am living with and when I first entered it seemed to be pretty large; comparable to a King Kullen or another smaller grocery store in America. I told her that I have my cell phone and to call me if we can’t find each other. She started laughing and told me that it is not huge like an American grocery store, and if we lose each other I can just call her name and she will hear me. Once I started doing my shopping I realized not only how narrow the aisles are and how small the wagons are, but how the wagons only move forward and backward. They are really hard to maneuver. At check out, there is absolutely no space whatsoever to move. Directly behind me were all of the wagons, practically touching my back, and to my side was another woman packing her grocery bags because two customers pack at the same time in the same space. There is a small divider the separate your items from the person next to you. Between taking the bus, going grocery shopping, and doing other little things throughout the day, I am quickly learning that personal space is hard to find.

Impara con me! The weather here in Rome has been absolutely beautiful…80s and sunny everyday. It is unseasonably warm and when this happens it is called ottobrata romana. It is equivalent to what Americans call an Indian summer.