Thursday, October 27, 2011

Fulbright Orientation Day Two

The silver pod in the background was my favorite structure we saw during the tour. It is one of three pods, each one a music hall varying in size and known for their excellent acoustics. The structures were designed by the Genovese architect Renzo Piano and were inaugurated in 2002. The Italians are preparing for the International Rome Film Festival (Oct.27-Nov.4) hence the red carpet.               


Another great day of informative lectures and worthwhile conversations. One of the lectures was on the Italian University system, and another on the process of art collectionism to museums. The speaker had described Italy as un museo diffuso, meaning a museum everywhere: just standing in the streets is like being in a museum. I have already experienced this from my one month in Rome. The churches, the piazzas, the fountains, the statues, the monuments, the bridges: each one is a gem with a story behind it. It’s almost as if there is a surprise at every corner, and you amble from one street to the next just as you do through each room in a museum.  
At the end of the day we had a two-hour guided tour of contemporary architecture in Rome. At first I was disappointed that it was on contemporary architecture and not ancient, but it ended up being better because the things that we saw and learned about weren’t pieces that I would have known to check out myself. The tour guide was a former Fulbrighter who attended Princeton and has been living in Rome as an architect for the past 20 years.   

Highlight of My Day: Receiving my Fulbright museum card. I now have free entry to all state-run museums and galleries in Rome…so cool! 

Highlight of My Evening: There was a dinner for the five English Teaching Assistants (ETAs) and our cooperating teachers. I have already met my cooperating teacher in Rome (who I absolutely adore) but I will also be teaching two times a week in the city of Aquila. I met the two teachers from Aquila for the first time at dinner. The first time I saw them I felt as if I had been reunited with two long-lost aunts. They literally walked up to me with open arms and gave me these motherly hugs and a kiss on each cheek. Italians really are the most welcoming people ever.

Cultural Note: As I’m sure everyone knows, Italians greet each other with one kiss on each cheek. What you may not know is that there is an intuitive order that they kiss on first. They always go to the right first, and for some reason I naturally go to the left first. I’ve been finding myself almost kissing the lips of each Italian I greet because I am going to the wrong cheek first. I need to make a permanent mental note to go to the right first.   

Impara con me! accogliente- welcoming