Monday, October 31, 2011

The Best Weekend of My Life

What's that in the background???


Showing my love to one of the Pantheon pillars. 


The Pantheon. Both me and Giannis' favorite monument.


At the Rome Film Festival. We saw an Australian comedy. 

My boyfriend, Giannis, came to Rome for the first time to visit me. Rome is so much better with him and I was able to appreciate it on a deeper level. The city took on a completely different dimension having him with me. Everything became even more alive and enchanting than before. This city is the place to be with the person you are in love with; it is so romantic. Paris may have the Eiffel Tower, but Rome has passion, charm, and even more breathtaking sights. I can’t help but point out that ROMA spelt backwards is AMOR.   

Cultural Note: Giannis was saying how he admires that Italy continues to produce amazing work. It’s not the type of culture that had their high day and then stopped contributing to society. Italians continue to create, build, and share their work with the world. I would even say that they are one of the most inspirational countries in the world. 

Highlights of My Weekend: 1. I had been waiting until Giannis arrived to see the Trevi Fountain because that is what I wanted to see the most. It did not disappoint me in the least. I’m so glad it’s not the high season for tourists because we were able to get close to it without pushing through a crowd. What I loved about it the most was that you were able to hear the cascading waters even before seeing it with your own eyes. The sound builds up your excitement and then when you turn the corner to see it the only word you can mutter up is wow…or at least that’s all I was capable of.   
                                             2. Sharing delicious food with amazing wine while laughing and having the type of conversations I’ve been missing.

Ultimate Sights: 1. Seeing Giannis’ face when he saw all of the ancient monuments for the first time. Saying that he has an appreciation for ancient history would be an understatement. It was special for me to share those moments with a person who holds a degree in Classical Studies. 
                           2. When I was 15 years old I saw Hillary Duff’s Lizzy McGuire movie when she goes to Rome. In one of the scenes she was standing in front of this monument, and I remember thinking to myself that I really wanted to go to Rome to see that monument. Since I’ve been here I’ve kept my eyes open for it but didn’t stumble across it until yesterday with Giannis. It ended up being the Roman Forum and I was finally seeing it with my own eyes.  

Impara con me! Phrase: pull yourself together- rimettiti in sesto.