Thursday, October 13, 2011

Sunday Lunch

This past Sunday my host mother and I made lunch together. We made a classic Roman dish called Rigatoni all’amatriciana. The dish is more commonly prepared with bucatini, but we were in the mood for rigatoni. We went to the grocery store first (yes, the one that you need both agility skills and flexibility to move around in) to pick up the ingredients. The star ingredient of the dish is guanciale. Guanciale is unsmoked pork and it comes from the cheek of the animal. In Italian, guancia means cheek. My host mother told me a secret to making this sauce and this meal was, by far, the best thing I’ve eaten since my arrival.

Cultural Note: Many schools have classes on Saturdays. The school that I am teaching at has class on Saturdays, but luckily I get my weekends off…phew!      

Highlight of My Evening: Helping my host brother with his Italian homework. He was studying verb tenses and I was able to help him study since I know all of the verb tenses. It was pretty cool being able to help an Italian with Italian J 

Impara con me!  soffriggere- to sautée