Saturday, October 22, 2011

One-Month Mark in Rome

It is exactly one month ago from today that I arrived in this destined location. Although I have only been here for one month, I feel like I have been here for six months; so much has happened within this short period of time and there were a lot of things to get done and to get used to, but up to this point I love Roma.   

High Points: 1. Just being here. Being aware that I am living out one of my life long dreams, and knowing that this is not something I will regret not having done in my life.
                      2. My first (and so far only) day teaching. My full teaching schedule starts in 2 weeks.
                      3. Cooking and eating. I haven’t eaten out much because I love to cook and I love to go grocery shopping. Thus far, nothing I have made has come out bad; not because I am a good cook but because the products are so delicious it seems impossible for something not to come out tasting good. The produce is beyond. I basically eat romaine lettuce plain…that’s how good it tastes.
                      4. Exploring the city. So far my favorite area of the city is Trastevere and my favorite place is Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere. My favorite monument is the Pantheon, which I was not expecting to be my favorite. The most romantic spot is the Passeggiata Gianicolo.
                      5. Using my Italian. This is still a working progress. I feel like my linguistic skills have plateaued which has been very frustrating.
                      
Low Points:  1. Experiencing all of these great things by myself.
                      2. Terribly missing my family and my boyfriend.
                      3. Dealing with Italian bureaucracy.
                      4. Adjusting…or should I say, not adjusting…to the glacially slow pace. This is something I really just can’t get used to. The funny this is, is that I don’t even consider myself a fast-paced New Yorker and still everything is just way too slow. Waiting on line at the grocery store for 20 minutes when all of the lines are moving at the same rate is just not okay in my book.
                      5. Watching my money vanish before my eyes when I’m barely even spending.