Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Dining Out

                                       Typical bar scene. Unfortunately the espresso maker is blocked.
Yesterday I spent the day with another Fulbrighter who was also placed in Rome. She is here on a research grant studying Italy’s political asylum policy and she happens to be from Buffalo, New York. It was nice to spend an entire day with someone. Since I haven’t made friends yet, I’ve been pretty lonely over here. For dinner we ate at a trattoria in Trastevere. I love eating out in Italy because you are never rushed. You can take a break from eating and know that your plate won’t be snatched up by some waiter who wants to keep a steady flow of customers. I also love how you don’t have to tip the waiters. It’s nice not having to do math at the end of a meal in order to figure out what 20% of the bill is…it’s good for the digestion ;) Waiters in Italy make an actual salary so it is not obligatory to leave a tip. Tips are given when the service was exceptional, but I have not yet received exceptional service. My standards are pretty high on that one, having always frequented the best restaurants around.

Cultural Notes: 1. It is completely abnormal to ask for a doggie-bag at the end of the meal. It’s something that just isn’t done here.
                           2. Tap water is not given. If you want water you buy bottled water for the table. I am very impressed with the tap water in Rome. I was reluctant at first to drink the tap water because I am very picky with my water. I even packed a Brita filter but I don’t need to use it.
                           3. When dining out you have to pay a cover charge. It is usually about €1 and it covers the cost of the bread, the tablecloth, and perhaps any flowers that may be on the table.

Highlight of My Day: I went to a different caffè today for my coffee. I ordered a caffè macchiato and it was absolutely delicious. I love how wherever you go in Italy you are guaranteed great coffee. A caffè macchiato is espresso with a little bit of frothed milk on top. The drink gets its name from the word macchia which means stain. It’s coffee (caffè) stained (macchiato) with milk. The froth was so creamy and full; it wasn’t foamy air like it usually turns out in America.

Highlight of My Night: Watching Keeping up with the Kardashians (Al passo con i Kardashian) dubbed in Italian.

Impara con me!    Phrase: figure it out- vedi un po’ tu.